Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is once again weighing in on a controversial piece of art that was unveiled earlier this month.
The $500,000 Bowfort Towers art installation now stands at the new interchange at the Trans-Canada Highway and Bowfort Road N.W.
Last week, Nenshi said he hadn’t seen it, but told The Morning News on News Talk 770 on Monday that changed over the weekend.
“I did go by the Bowfort Towers on my way to the Stoney Reserve over the weekend and yeah, it’s not my favourite thing in the world,” Nenshi said. “I don’t think it’s horrible, it’s not my favourite thing in the world.”
WATCH BELOW: Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi weighed in on the ongoing public art debate after recent backlash over the Bowfort Towers art installation. Doug Vaessen reports (from Aug. 10, 2017).
Despite changes made to the public art policy in 2014, he said more might need to be made.
“We added more citizen volunteers to the juries, we suggested more community involvement,” Nenshi said. “It’s clear it’s not working and we’re getting too much art that many people don’t like.”
Nenshi also defended volunteers and others involved, who were “just following council’s policy.”
WATCH BELOW: The City of Calgary has unveiled it’s newest public art installation as part of the Bowfort Road overpass project.