Crews were on scene for hours Tuesday morning, battling a large fire in North Vancouver.
The fire, located near the Northwest Kennels on Monashee Drive, not far from Capilano University, started in a wood shed around 5:10 a.m.
Black smoke from the fire could be seen across North Vancouver and across the water from downtown.
Explosions could also be heard during the blaze, which fire crews say were caused by welding torches that were exploding.
It is not known yet what sparked the blaze in the shed. However, there was no danger to any of the animals at the kennels.
“They’re closed off in their kennels, they’re locked behind walls, there’s no smoke or anything going anywhere near their kennels so they’re safe at this time,” said Capt. Walt Warner with the District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
The blaze was contained within an hour and crews remained on scene to knock down any hot spots.
No one was injured in the fire. Officials say it is too early to tell if lightning overnight on in North Vancouver was a factor.