Girl, 10, dies after being struck by vehicle in Hamilton’s west end

A 10-year-old girl has died following a vehicle collision in Waterdown on Tuesday evening.
A 10-year-old girl has died following a vehicle collision in Waterdown on Tuesday evening. Global News

A 10-year-old girl has died after a vehicle collision in Waterdown Tuesday evening.

Hamilton police said the collision happened before 7 p.m. in the area of Evans Road and Dundas Street East, north of Highways 407 and 403.

“The investigation is continuing. Our accident reconstruction unit is on scene and our hearts go out to the family, friends, and neighbours of the deceased,” Insp. Greg Huss told reporters.

Police said the investigation is ongoing and officers could not confirm if speed or alcohol were factors in the collision.

Huss said the driver remained on scene and is cooperating with investigators.

While covering news of the collision two members of the media were arrested by Hamilton police. Global News videographer Jeremy Cohn was restrained by an officer and led into the back of a police vehicle before being released a short time later without charges being laid.

Story continues below advertisement

David Ritchie, a freelance journalist who works with multiple Ontario news organizations including Global News, was also arrested. Ritchie, who was not working for Global News at the time, said his equipment was briefly seized by police while he was handcuffed and held in the back of a cruiser for two hours. Ritchie said he was charged with one count of obstruction. A Hamilton police spokesperson was unavailable for comment on the incident.

Troy Reeb, Senior Vice President of News, Radio and Station Operations for Corus Entertainment Inc. said in a statement Tuesday evening the management of Global News is disturbed by the incident.

“We are deeply concerned by the circumstances surrounding the arrest of a Global News journalist in Hamilton earlier today,” Reeb said.

“While we are satisfied he was quickly released without charge, the incident merits further investigation and we will be following up directly with Hamilton Police Service.”