No injuries after fire breaks out in Mexican resort popular among Canadians

A fire rages in the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum resort in Mexico’s Riviera Maya
WATCH: A fire rages in the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum resort in Mexico's Riviera Maya.

Gordon Faria, 48, of Montreal was taking in a theatre show in the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum resort in Mexico‘s Mayan Riviera when a large fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. Friday night.

“We were watching a Michael Jackson show when I heard people at the bar screaming ‘fire!'” Faria told Global News. “I peeked out and saw the straw [structure] on fire, and everybody started running out.”

He said that there were many Canadians in the crowd.

READ MORE: Arrest made in Canadian’s death in Mexico

“During every theatre show they ask the audience who’s from the USA, who’s from Italy, who’s from here or there… and so many people yelled out for Canada. There were lots of Canadians down there,” he said.

A resort employee confirmed to Global News that the area was evacuated due to a fire, and that the resort resumed normal operations Saturday.

READ MORE: Groom, child among 5 Canadians killed in Mexican resort explosion

In a release, officials from the resort said “the situation was kept under control at all times.”

Story continues below advertisement

“Bahia Principe Hotel’s and Resorts can report that nobody was injured and the damage was limited to material losses,” the statement reads.

The statement went on to say the fire started as a “result of an unfortunate short-circuit.” Faria said staff suggested it originated from an electrical issue with a projector.

The resort has 960 rooms, five restaurants and numerous bars, according to its official website.

The Bahia Principe complex is made up of four connected resorts: Tulum, Coba, Akumal and Sian Ka’an. It is located about 100 kilometres south of Cancun.