Parents of student who died of alcohol poisoning sue Dalhousie University

Police are pictured outside Dalhousie-owned residence LeMarchant Place. Julia Wong/Global News

The parents of a young Chinese woman who died of alcohol poisoning after a night of drinking inside a Dalhousie University residence are suing the school for alleged negligence.

READ MORE: Dalhousie student dies of medical emergency in residence building

In a statement of claim filed late last week, parents Peter Shang and Weihong Bai of China say they are also suing four other students and Halifax-based McKesson Canada Corp., the company that operates the province’s free medical help phone line, otherwise known as 811.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.

In the civil action, it is alleged that on the night of Nov. 12, 2015, 19-year-old Melody Shang drank vodka, became intoxicated, vomited and later passed out inside the bathroom of a Dalhousie-owned residence in Halifax known as LeMarchant Place.

While she was unconscious, one of the apartment’s four roommates called the province’s telecare service to seek medical advice from an operator, who allegedly advised them to monitor the woman’s breathing and call back if anything changed.

Story continues below advertisement

The lawsuit says that the next morning, the roommates called 911 when they realized Shang had stopped breathing.

READ MORE: Alcohol poisoning caused sudden death of student at Dalhousie

The parents say Dalhousie was negligent because it failed to take steps to prevent drunkenness and adequately supervise its residents and guests.

Sponsored content