September 13, 2016 7:11 am
Updated: September 13, 2016 9:46 am

Galaxy Note 7 recall: Samsung to release software update to prevent phones from fully charging

WATCH: Samsung recalls Galaxy 7 smartphones in Canada

A A

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of – Samsung plans to issue a software update for its recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones that will prevent them from overheating by limiting battery recharges to under 60 per cent.

The front page of the Seoul Shinmun, a South Korean daily newspaper, carries a Samsung advertisement announcing the software update plan for any users of the Note 7 who may be disregarding its recall notice and continuing to use the smartphone.

Story continues below

“It is a measure to put consumer safety first but we apologize for causing inconvenience,” Samsung Electronics said. The update for South Korean users will start at 2 a.m. on Sept. 20, it said.

However, over the weekend, Samsung urged consumers worldwide to stop using Galaxy Note 7 smartphones immediately and exchange them as soon as possible, amid more reports of the phones catching fire.

READ MORE: Samsung urges consumers globally to stop using Galaxy Note 7

South Korean media earlier reported the software upgrade plan, citing Samsung. The Yonhap news agency reported that Samsung is in talks with mobile carriers to carry out the same update plan to keep battery power at 60 per cent or below at all times.

It’s unclear when the software update will roll out internationally.

Samsung Canada issued a recall for more than 20,000 Galaxy Note 7 smartphones on Monday. So far only one case of a battery overheating has been reported in Canada but south of the border there have been more than 70 cases reported.

READ MORE: Samsung Canada recalls Galaxy Note 7, urges consumers to turn phone off

Samsung plans to begin issuing new Note 7s on Sept. 19. The global recall has affected some 2.5 million smartphones. Samsung says the problem stems from a manufacturing glitch in the batteries.

WATCH: Exploding Galaxy Note 7 allegedly burns Brooklyn boy

The company has urged consumers to immediately turn off the phones and get them replaced with the new Note 7. But implementing such a large-scale recall is a challenge. Consumers have to visit Samsung service centres or retailers twice – once to get a replacement phone – not a Note 7 – and have a safety check of their existing Galaxy Note 7, and a second time to get a new Note 7. South Koreans are travelling for one of their two biggest national holidays of the year starting Wednesday, which complicates the recall plan.

Samsung did not answer emails and calls seeking comment on Tuesday.

WATCH: U.S. aviation officials warns Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users against using phone during flights

Analysts said the update appears to be a last-ditch effort to contain the crisis.

Samsung “has to contain the battery explosions but people are not returning the phone,” said Peter Yu, an analyst at BNP Paribas. “It is taking a desperate measure.”

Keeping the battery level low could reduce the risk of overheating, but would be equivalent to getting a downgrade of a top-of-the-line phone, said Kim Young Woo, an analyst at SK Securities. The Galaxy Note series is one of the most expensive handset lineup made by Samsung.

“It means that the phone has not been optimized before the release,” Kim said.

READ MORE:  Samsung Galaxy Note 7 recall: What Canadian consumers need to know

Samsung is the world’s largest smartphone maker, and analysts said the recall may leave a larger impact on its brand than earlier estimated. Aviation regulators and airlines have deemed the Note 7 a flight hazard and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is considering an official product recall.

 

With files from Global News

© 2016 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.