Quebec taxi drivers are considering taking the government to court over the deal it reached with Uber last week.
Three taxi groups will meet Tuesday morning in Montreal to discuss how they can jointly pursue legal action.
They had met with the province’s transport minister Monday afternoon to argue the deal is illegal and will devastate traditional taxi drivers.
The government’s agreement with Uber was for a one-year pilot project.
Taxi-driver groups argue the pilot project is illegal because it doesn’t conform to the rules laid out in Bill 100.
They said they feel betrayed in part because it allows Uber to purchase what’s called “intermediary permits,” which means its drivers will pay a royalty to the province on each fare.
Taxi drivers insist this new system is unfair.
READ MORE: Agreement reached in Uber-Quebec dispute
- Protest that prompted cancellation of PM’s reception under review: Toronto Police
- Online Harms Act not about ‘insults launched from a smartphone’: minister
- Mulroney considered ‘greatest’ PM in Atlantic Canada, says former N.B. premier Frank McKenna
- Reception cancelled after protestors block venue entrances at PM meetings in Toronto
Chevrette called the Uber business model “banditry” and said it’s ruining an old industry, and one where people do not make a fortune.
He blames Quebec premier Philippe Couillard.
Chevrette said taxi strikes are not on the table right now for the three groups that met with Transport Minister Laurent Lessard separately Monday.
None of the groups is happy with what the minister had to say.