Advertisement

Email says Aaron Driver’s potential terrorist attack would have caused ‘mass casualties’

Terrorism suspect killed during confrontation with police in Strathroy, ON
WATCH: Police on scene Wednesday evening, after Aaron Driver was killed during confrontation with officers in Strathroy, ON.

WINNIPEG — An email warning about Aaron Driver’s potential suicide bombing was sent out to several major security firms Wednesday evening.

The alert was sent by the Department of Defence and the warning was forwarded to security agencies by the RCMP. The information from the email was from a source with a private security firm who spoke to Global News/680 CJOB on condition of anonymity.

Driver was the terrorism suspect killed in a confrontation with police Wednesday in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy.

READ MORE: Aaron Driver: What we know about the Canadian terror suspect killed in Ontario

“Information has been received by Ottawa NHQ from a credible source that there may be a terrorist attack carried out today by a lone suspect,” the email read, which was sent around 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Story continues below advertisement
“Based on the information received, the attack may occur today [Wednesday] in a Canadian city and will be by means of a suicide detonation of an improvised explosive device at a time and place that would cause mass casualties.”

READ MORE: Toronto transit authorities ‘made aware’ of RCMP terror threat investigation

It also said that given the warm temperatures in Ontario, “persons who are overly clothed for the weather, or carrying a backpack may be of interest.”

text - aaron driver

Authorities have released very little information on the investigation but are expected to provide further details during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday.

Driver is originally from Winnipeg. He was arrested in Charleswood in June 2015 after being accused of supporting ISIS. He then moved to Strathroy, Ont., from Winnipeg to comply with a peace bond that was agreed upon earlier this year by his lawyer and prosecutors.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Neighbours react after Winnipeg ISIS supporter goes back into custody

He had been under a court order not to associate with any terror group and faced 18 other court ordered conditions.

WATCH: Aaron Driver arrested by police in Winnipeg in June 2015