A building at a bible camp near Dauphin, Man, is completely destroyed after a fire tore though it Monday afternoon.
Crews were called on scene to the main facility of the Dauphin Bible Camp for reports of a bathroom fire around 2 p.m.
When crews arrived the building was completely engulfed in flames.
Firefighters could not enter the building because of the intensity of the blaze. Crews then battled the flames defensively from the outside, said Dauphin Fire Chief, Cameron Abrey.
The building had several staff members and a dozen campers in it when the fire broke out. They all safely evacuated the building,” Abrey said.
Abrey said the 41-year-old building had a “unique construction” and was an “open air concept”, which contributed to the rapid movement of the flames.
After seven hours, firefighters were able to put out the blaze. The building is completely destroyed. There is no word yet on the damage estimate.
“The camp is several kilometres outside Dauphin, so a lot of people helped out. Several farmers hauled water and camp staff provided crews with food and water,” Aubrey said.
There were more than 60 children and 45 people in staff staying at the camp when the fire broke out.
Abrey said an investigation showed the fire was accidental in nature and originated from an electrical box in a boys’ bathroom.
- Singh says NDP won’t trigger election over Johnston, interference. Why?
- N.S. wildfires: Some evacuations lifted in Halifax; Shelburne blaze remains out of control
- Spy watchdog’s relations with intelligence agencies ‘challenging’: memo
- New rehab contract for veterans given failing grade by union. Why?