The Calgary Humane Society is caring for more than 25 cats and a dog after a fire at a home in Erin Woods Wednesday afternoon.
Fire crews were called to the home on Eringrove Close S.E. at around 12:40 p.m.
The fire was quickly brought under control, and no injuries were reported.
No people were inside at the time, but dozens of cats and one dog were found alive and rescued. Several other animals were found dead, but the fire is not believed to be the cause.
Firefighters searching the home discovered less than desirable living conditions, and called in Environmental Health Officers as well as Alberta Health Services (AHS).
Officers from Community Standards as well as the Calgary Humane Society (CHS) were also called.
After an investigation, AHS has posted an order that the home is unfit for human habitation.
CHS crews removed and will be caring for all of the cats. As of Thursday, they were receiving veterinary care at the southeast shelter.
The Calgary Fire Department said the family who live at the home are cooperating.
Fire investigators believe the fire was accidental, and started on the stove.