March 13, 2016 1:29 am
Updated: March 13, 2016 6:03 pm

UPDATE: Dozens left homeless after fire rips through Lac La Biche apartment complex

File photo - Fire crews battle an apartment fire in Lac La Biche

Global News

EDMONTON – Forty-two people have been left homeless after fire destroyed several units of an apartment building in Lac La Biche, about 200 kilometres north of Edmonton.

It happened around 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, at Lakeview Manor.

The Red Cross is helping the displaced individuals.

Fire crews with Lac La Biche County were able to contain the blaze to three suites on the top floor, but several others suffered water damage.

Fire Chief John Kokotilo said the cause was determined to be a cigarette left in a planter. He added damage estimates are pegged at $1.25 million.

On Sunday, firefighters entered several of the burned out suites to collect essential items likes wallets, keys and passports for residents.

Once the building is deemed safe, residents will be allowed back to collect more items. The fire chief expects a decision to be made on the re-entry by Wednesday.

There were no injuries.

© 2016 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.