January 11, 2016 1:03 pm
Updated: January 11, 2016 2:02 pm

‘Ah man, the building is on fire!’ Tulsa resident’s hilarious response after escaping apartment fire

WATCH ABOVE: Tulsa resident has hilarious response in news interview after escaping apartment fire


A Tulsa, Oklahoma woman is gaining attention for a hilarious news interview she gave following an apartment fire on Sunday.

Michelle Dobyne is one of 100 residents of the Casa Linda complex who were left without power or heat after a fire broke out in a storage unit beneath one of the apartments.

“My friend come to the door. I was on the phone cooking me and my baby some breakfast. She said, ‘Hey, there is something wrong. There’s poppin.’ I said, ‘Wah?” Dobyne told Tulsa’s News 6.

Story continues below

“She come out of her apartment with no shoes on,” said Dobyne, describing neighbour Centoria Lee, who fled her home due to the fire.

“She said, ‘Something ain’t right.’ I said ‘Ah man, the building is on fire!’” An animated Dobyne told reporters.

“I got my three kids and we bounced out. Nuh-uh, we ain’t gonna be in no fire. Not today.”

According to property manager David Bryan, Dobyne’s funny response appeared to cheer up neighbours affected by the fire.

“They’re already all taking care of each other,” he said with a laugh.

Other residents also took light-hearted ways to describe the incident.

“You could hear ’em poppin’,” Edward Robinson said, describing the sound of frying electrical wires.

“It actually sounded like the Fourth of July in there,” he said.

“I can’t cook, I can’t eat, I can’t get warm. But I still got breath,” Robinson said.

Fortunately no one was hurt in the incident, and the Red Cross has opened a shelter for those affected by the fire.

© 2016 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.