January 5, 2016 9:17 pm
Updated: January 5, 2016 11:49 pm

WATCH: Vigilante speaks out after high-speed chase through Surrey and Delta

WATCH: A Surrey man fed up with crime in his neighbourhood decided to take matters into his own hands, resulting in close calls with flying bullets and a high-speed car chase. John Daly explains in a Global News exclusive.


A man who chased a vehicle after shots were fired at his truck in Surrey, B.C. is speaking out about his ordeal.

The vigilante, who refused to give Global News his name for safety reasons, says he received a phone call at about 7:50 p.m. last night telling him there might be criminal activity happening not far from his home in Surrey.

Story continues below

He hopped into his truck and drove approximately 150 metres down the road when he saw a parked vehicle with several people in it.

“Instantly, they started firing shots at the back of my truck,” he said.

The man dialed 9-1-1 as the car sped off, then chasing after it in hopes of tracking the licence plate number.

“They were going through red lights and I did my best to stay safe,” he said.

He says as he came down Highway 10 toward 168 Street, the suspects began firing shots at his vehicle. He believes at least 10 shots were fired.

“At that point, bullets went through my windshield, and shattered glass on my face,” he said. “I started bleeding and I knew it was no joke and there was a gun.”

WATCH: A man who chased after the people who shot at his car in Surrey is speaking to Global News about his ordeal.

The two vehicles raced down Highway 99 northbound before exiting in Delta onto River Road. The fleeing car lost control and crashed into a hydro pole in the 8000-block of River Road.

The man continued past the crash and stayed on the scene, waiting for police to arrive. He was allegedly arrested for dangerous driving and spent a few hours in jail.

He says, throughout the chase, they were going at speeds of over 150 km/h in very, icy road conditions.

The whole time he was on the phone with a 9-1-1 dispatcher. He maintains he had his hazard lights on throughout the chase and was honking his horn, trying to get the attention of police.

“I kept telling them how important it was for me to get these guys caught, so they did not come back and come after me. Because if they can fire a gun that quickly at me for no reason, they are going to be coming back, for sure.”

All three male suspects, who are well known to police, were arrested and taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Police said a firearm was found at the scene of the crash.

WATCH: Bullets flew in Surrey and Delta last night during a wild and dramatic car chase that ended in a crash and the arrest of three people. 

The man claims he did not say a word to the suspects ahead of the shots being fired. He is concerned about returning to his home and says he might have to relocate.

Surrey RCMP’s General Investigation Unit has taken over the case and is investigating. One of the suspects, 25-year-old Surrey resident Cory Lee Myers, has a Canada-wide warrant for breaching his probation and a local warrant for break and enter.

Anyone with additional information about the incident is asked to contact Delta Police.

– With files from Paula Baker

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.