The landlord of a townhouse rented by the two San Bernardino shooters invited media into the apartment Friday, allowing reporters to broadcast the shooters’ personal items and family members on live television.
MSNBC and CNN reporters showed images of a crib, toys, a child’s book of the Qu’ran, family pictures and shredded documents inside the Redlands, California home. They also showed a driver’s license, Social Security card, and other identification documents found in the apartment on live television.
The townhouse was rented to Syed Farook, 28, and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, 27 who were identified as the two shooters behind Wednesday’s massacre at a holiday party of Farook’s co-wokers that killed 14 people and wounded another 21.
CNN’s Anderson Cooper said that police had cleared the apartment before media were invited in by the landlord.
A San Bernardino sheriff’s deputy told Los Angeles Times reporter Joe Serna that federal authorities “told us it’s still an active investigation… I don’t know why there’s people in there.”
An FBI official clarified during a press conference Friday afternoon that the apartment had been turned over to the residents Thursday evening.
WATCH: FBI official discusses media being allowed into San Bernardino suspects’ home
CNN’s law enforcement analyst, Harry Houck, said he was “shaking” watching reporters go through the apartment which “still contained evidence.”
“I’m having chills down my spine with what I’m seeing here,” he said. “This apartment clearly is full of evidence.”
The chaotic scene sparked a wave of criticism on Twitter, as reporters and media watchers questioned whether the large media presence inside the apartment would damage potential evidence.
Police said the couple had stockpiled 12 pipe bombs, tools to make more explosives, and well over 4,500 rounds of ammunition at the home.
The couple had a six-month-old daughter who was left at her grandmother’s the morning of the shooting.
WATCH: San Bernardino shooters’ landlord say they were good tenants, never any trouble
U.S. law enforcement revealed Friday that Malik had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group and its leader on Facebook using an alias, then deleted the messages prior to the attack.