November 26, 2015 7:28 pm
Updated: November 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Man charged with murder after suggesting his girlfriend committed suicide last March

WATCH ABOVE: Calgary police have charged 32-year-old Luke Anthony MacLeod with the second-degree murder of his girlfriend Sheri Carpen. As Jayme Doll reports, MacLeod had told investigators Carpen had committed suicide.


CALGARY – Calgary police have charged a man with second-degree murder in connection to the death of 31-year-old Sheri Carpen last March.

On March 28, emergency crews were called to a home on Pinetree Bay N.E. for reports of a deceased woman. The victim’s boyfriend, Anthony Macleod, told
investigators he had found his girlfriend’s body after what appeared to be a suicide.

Police suggest the couple had been living together for approximately eight months and that there had been no history of violence between them.

Story continues below

In her obituary, family wrote, “she was loved by all and will be sadly missed.” A memorial service was held in Calgary on April 9.

After Carpen’s death, police told her family that the homicide unit was investigating and that they were looking at all possibilities.

The death was considered suspicious at the time, but police said Thursday that additional developments and autopsy results have led them to believe Carpen was murdered.

WATCH: Alberta homicide rates climb

“The victims family, it’s been a stressful time for them over the past six months,” Staff Sgt. Colin Chisholm said. “Now that they know for a fact that Sheri was murdered, it has obviously caused even a greater strain on them.”

Helena Killinger told Global News she and her sister grew up with Carpen and they always suspected Carpen had been murdered.

WATCH: Calgary Police Homicide Sgt. Colin Chisholm speaks to media regarding charges laid in connection to the death of 31-year-old Sheri Carpen.

Investigators have charged Macleod in connection to Carpen’s death. Macleod, originally of Calgary, was arrested Wednesday in Coaldale, Alta.

Police said Macleod had moved there soon after Carpen’s death and that they were aware of his location. Chisholm said Macleod had been “somewhat” cooperative in the investigation.

READ MORE: Domestic violence on the rise in Calgary: police

Macleod has been transferred back to Calgary and is scheduled to appear in court Friday.

At this time, police are not releasing details about how Carpen died.

© 2015 Shaw Media

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.