MONTREAL – Actor Randy Quaid has been ordered released by the Immigration and Refugee Board, but still faces being sent back to the United States next week.
Quaid appeared before the board Thursday afternoon for a detention review.
READ MORE: Randy Quaid rants against studios, media in bizarre video
A Canada Border Services Agency official told the board member hearing the case that Quaid was arrested because it was felt he wouldn’t comply with an order to leave the country next Wednesday.
WATCH: Randy Quaid is released from custody, but must still leave Canada next week.
That fear was rejected by the board member and Quaid was ordered released.
The 65-year-old Quaid was informed this week he would be sent back to the United States, where he faces an outstanding warrant and pending criminal charges.
Quaid and his wife, a Canadian, fled north of the border in 2010, alleging they were the victims of persecution.
The actor has previously said he’s willing to return to his native United States to deal with those legal cases.