June 15, 2015 5:12 pm
Updated: August 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Pilot project brings sex education back to Quebec

A A

WATCH: Sexual education disappeared from Quebec curriculums in 2005, but now the government is launching a pilot project to bring sex ed classes back in schools. Caroline Plante reports.

QUEBEC CITY – Quebec is launching a pilot project to bring sex ed classes back in schools.

The Couillard government said starting in the fall, students from 15 different schools will receive between five and 15 hours of instruction.

Story continues below

The classes will be offered at both the elementary and high school levels.

Sex education classes in Quebec disappeared with the reform in 2005.

READ MORE: Sexual education compared across Canada

Since then, Education Ministry sexologist Julie Pelletier said young people have been exposed to an increasing amount of information on the web, but it isn’t always accurate – and they’re often re-directed to pornography sites.

Pelletier told Global News that time has shown there is a “very strong social consensus in Quebec” around the need for more sexual education.

She said she doesn’t expect a backlash like in Ontario, where parents held several demonstrations last winter against the new sex ed classes.

“We have a long history of sexual education in Quebec,” Pelletier said.

READ MORE: Montreal teen who penned viral sex-ed quiz answers wasn’t suspended

At the elementary level, they will cover topics such as anatomy, sexual stereotypes and homophobia, while high school students will learn about new technology, pornography, the notion of consent, STDs and more.

WATCH: Debating sex ed in Quebec

Healthcare authorities had been asking for more sex ed after they noticed the number of cases of chlamydia had jumped 55 per cent between 2005 and 2011.

“In recent years, many groups have asked us to build a formal sex education curriculum,” said Pelletier.

Schools taking part in the pilot project will offer sex ed classes for two years.

Pelletier did not reveal the list of participating schools.

The province’s Education Ministry hopes to extend the classes to all schools after 2017.

© 2015 Shaw Media

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.