Chef David Hawksworth shows how to make his Crispy Skin Chicken Thighs, Potato Gnocchi, Wild Mushrooms, and Chimmichurri to promote the Hands-on Cook-off Contest.
8 Bone-In Skin On Chicken Thighs
200gr Mixed Mushrooms (Morel & King Oyster)
360gr Potato Gnocchi (See Recipe)
180gr Chimmichurri (See Recipe)
60gr Asparagus Ribbons (Peeled Using Vegetable Peeler)
60ml Vegetable Oil
150ml Chicken Stock
40gr Chopped Parsely
25ml Lemon Juice
Tt Salt And Pepper
5 med sized yukon gold potatoes
a/p flour to feel
1 egg yolk
2 bunches parsley
1 bunch cilantro
1 shallot chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 thai chili
• Stab potatoes with a knife or fork, and bake on a resting rack at 350F for 2.5 -3 h
until knife tender.
• Remove from oven, peel potatoes of their skin and rice through fine ricer
• In a large mixing bowl, season riced potato, add egg yolk and lightly dust in flour
while kneading gently. DO NOT LET THE POTATOES COOL BEFORE DOUGH IS
FINISHED. The dough will take on enough flour to stop adhering to the sides of
the bowl, and be soft and dry to the touch.
• Transfer dough onto a clean stainless steel table, and roll into snakes. Cut
gnocchi with a pastry scrapper in uniform pillow shaped 1cm x 1cm cubes.
• Transfer onto a floured, parchment lined full tray, spaced apart from each other.
Do not overcrowd tray. Freeze, overnight.
• Blanch in boiling salted water, and remove once gnocchi float. Transfer to pan or
tray, well oiled with evoo. Refrigerate. Reserve until needed.
• Add ¾ of the herbs and the rest of the measured ingredients and blitz until
almost smooth in blender.
• Add the remaining herbs and pulse to achieve texture through the mix.
• Season with sherry vinegar and salt.
• Make gnocchi and chimmichurri up to one day in advance.
• -Allow chicken thigh at room temperature for 1hr before cooking, set oven to
• Season chicken with salt and pepper, and heat a pan with vegetable oil on
medium high heat
• Add chicken, skin side down and render on medium high heat, once you start to
see golden brown around edge of chicken, place in oven to carry through,
approx. 25 minutes
• Once chicken goes into oven heat another pan with half of the amount of butter
on medium high heat.
• When butter starts to foam add mushrooms and roast until fragrant in butter on
medium high heat.
• Remove and reserve mushrooms on the side and using same pan, place other
half of butter and bring back up to medium high
• Once again when butter is foaming add gnocchi and fry until golden. Combine
mushrooms back in with gnocchi in one pan and add chicken stock, simmer down
until glazed. Finish with parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
• Remove chicken from the oven once cooked through and serve family style.
• Garnish with asparagus ribbons and serve chimmichurri on the side