Advertisement

Smoking materials cause of Meadowgreen house fire

Saskatoon Fire Department says smoking materials to blame for Meadowgreen house fire Friday afternoon that caused $50,000 in damage.
Saskatoon Fire Department says smoking materials to blame for Meadowgreen house fire Friday afternoon that caused $50,000 in damage. Neil Fisher / Global News

SASKATOON – A house fire caused quite a bit of smoke damage to a Meadowgreen neighbourhood home Friday, however everyone inside was able to get out safely. The Saskatoon Fire Department was initially called to the fire at around 5 p.m.

Fire crews arrived at 418 Avenue X South to see smoke coming from the bi-level home. Five people inside had evacuated the building but firefighters still searched inside the house to be sure it was vacant.

READ MORE: Vehicle goes up in flames in Stonebridge neighbourhood garage

Fire crews found the source of the blaze in a bedroom on the top floor and extinguished it. An investigator determined that smoking materials started the fire somewhere around the bed.

Smoke and fire damage is estimated at $50,000.

No injuries were reported.

Story continues below advertisement