‘There are some indications of foul play’: EPS on suspicious death in southeast Edmonton

Watch above: Homicide detectives are investigating the suspicious death of a woman in southeast Edmonton. As Shallima Maharaj reports, there are indications of foul play.

EDMONTON – Homicide detectives are investigating after a woman was found dead in a southeast Edmonton home Friday.

Police were called to a home in the area of 37 Avenue and 13 Street around 8:30 a.m.

“We believe a male from this residence behind me went to a relative’s house a fair distance from here and indicated that a female had died in the residence,” explained Det. Bill Clark with the Edmonton Police Service.

“Those people called police, our southeast division patrol members responded to this address and went inside and found a deceased female in the residence.”

Police say a five-year-old boy was inside the home at the time.

Story continues below advertisement

Neighbours have identified the woman as 61-year-old Baldish Kang.

Ireen Kumar, who lives in the area, says she and her daughter went outside Friday morning after seeing a heavy police presence in front of the home. When she went outside, Kumar says she saw the woman’s son.

“He’s crying too much, her daughter is crying too much. I asked them what happened and they didn’t say anything. They said, ‘My mom is no more.’ Then I asked them what happened, they said, ‘I don’t know, I was at work and my sister called me and she said come home fast.'”

Police confirm they have an individual in custody that they are questioning, but would not say who that person is.

Family members from the southeast Edmonton home were also taken to police headquarters for questioning, Clark added.

While it’s early in the investigation, Clark says “there are some indications of foul play.”

Kumar says the family was always very friendly.

“They are a very happy family. Whenever we are going outside, she’s always smiling. She always says hello,” Kumar said. “Yesterday she was talking to me. Still, I remember her face.”

Police remained on scene for most of the day Friday.


Sponsored content