REGINA – RCMP in Saskatchewan have arrested and charged a senior Mountie and one other person in connection with the sexual assault of a minor in the community of Carlyle in the summer of 1982.
In April of 2013 RCMP received information from an adult female relating to the assault, and then in December of 2013 the victim provided a detailed statement of the assault alleging that she had been assaulted by a male member of the RCMP.
The victim was 12-years-old at the time of the alleged assault.
“As soon as we became aware of the allegations we began a comprehensive criminal investigation which has resulted in charges against the two identified suspects,” said Supt. Alfredo Bangloy, Assistant Criminal Operations Officer In Charge of Provincial Policing.
54-year-old Inspector Ronald Patrick Makar was arrested on Tuesday, April 15 at his workplace – the Wood Buffalo RCMP detachment in Fort McMurray, AB. Makar was charged with one count of having sexual intercourse with a female person without her consent and one count of having sexual intercourse with a female person under the age of 14.
Makar has been an RCMP member for 34 years, and until Tuesday was serving as Operations Officer in Charge of the Wood Buffalo detachment. He has been suspended with pay pending further consideration.
Makar also served in Carlyle, Kyle, Fond du Lac, Regina, Milestone and ‘F’ Division Headquarters in Regina.
Additionally, on April 10, RCMP arrested 56-year-old Constance Haduik of Kyle, SK and charged her with one count of indecent assault of a female person.
“Allegations like these are disturbing when made against a member of the general public,” Bangloy said. “For a serving police officer to be facing charges like this is extremely disturbing.”
Both Makar and Haduik will make their first court appearance in Carlyle, SK on June 4th.
- McDonald’s employee in Ontario bitten by customer’s dog while bringing food to car
- Only 11% of human trafficking cases result in guilty decision: StatCan
- Canadian entrepreneur Daniel Langlois and partner found dead in Caribbean
- Dangerous offenders like Paul Bernardo warrant tougher transfer rules: lawyer