Advertisement

Enmax restores power after pole fire leaves almost 4,000 in the dark

Enmax crews join the Calgary Fire Department on scene at a power pole fire on Wednesday, April 09, 2014.
Enmax crews join the Calgary Fire Department on scene at a power pole fire on Wednesday, April 09, 2014. Global News
Enmax crews join the Calgary Fire Department on scene at a power pole fire on Wednesday, April 09, 2014.
Enmax crews join the Calgary Fire Department on scene at a power pole fire on Wednesday, April 09, 2014. Global News
Enmax crews join the Calgary Fire Department on scene at a power pole fire on Wednesday, April 09, 2014.
Enmax crews join the Calgary Fire Department on scene at a power pole fire on Wednesday, April 09, 2014. Global News

CALGARY – Almost 4,000 Calgarians were left in the dark during an early morning power outage on Wednesday.

The outage began around 5:30 a.m., impacting 3,981 Enmax customers in the communities of West Springs, Patterson Heights, Cougar Ridge, Coach Hill and Bowness.

Officials say the outage was caused by a power pole that caught fire along Coach Hill Road S.W.

The fire department has responded to several calls of power poles catching fire recently.

They say power pole fires are not uncommon in the early spring.

They happen when a buildup of dirt occurs in the insulators which are used to attach electrical wires to the power poles. A light rain, snow or even dense fog can produce the right conditions for the insulators to start to overheat which will cause the fire.

Story continues below advertisement