Workers evacuated after fatal crane accident at Vancouver construction site

Click to play video: 'Deadly crane incident at Oakridge construction site'
Deadly crane incident at Oakridge construction site
WATCH: One worker is dead after construction material fell from a high-rise construction site at Oakridge Mall in Vancouver, forcing the closure of a stretch of Cambie Street. Cassidy Mosconi reports. – Feb 21, 2024

More than 1,700 workers were evacuated from the Oakridge Park construction site in Vancouver after a fatal crane accident on Wednesday.

Emergency crews were called to the site near 41st Avenue and Cambie Street around 3 p.m.

Vancouver Fire Rescue Services public information officer Matthew Trudeau said the crane itself appeared stable but had lost an unspecified load.

“The load did come off and you can see it actually struck the building,” he said.

“The concern now is there are still some pieces of material that are unsecured.”

VFRS deployed a technical rescue team to secure the site, and was working with the construction company and contractors.

Click to play video: 'Kelowna RCMP recommend charges in deadly crane collapse'
Kelowna RCMP recommend charges in deadly crane collapse

EllisDon, the construction company overseeing the Oakridge redevelopment, told Global News it was working with emergency crews on site, and would provide an update when it had more information.

Story continues below advertisement

Nearby residents and workers told Global News they heard a loud bang but didn’t know what was going on until the site was evacuated.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.

Officials have yet to confirm the fatality, but multiple sources have told Global News a worker was killed.

BC Emergency Health Services said it deployed two ambulances and a supervisor to the site, but that no one was transported to hospital.

The public has been urged to avoid the area, and Cambie Street was closed between West 41st and West 45th Avenue.

WorkSafeBC confirmed it had been notified of an incident around 3 p.m. at a worksite at the mall, and has deployed prevention officers and an investigation team.

Sponsored content