Top five travel credit cards
CALGARY – A Canadian website is taking the guesswork out of choosing the travel rewards credit card that gives you the most bang for your buck.
RewardsCanada.ca has released their 5th annual list of the top travel reward credit cards available for Canadians.
There are more than 75 travel reward credit cards in the market, which can make selecting the card that works for you somewhat challenging.
The credit cards were ranked in each of five categories: Travel Points (with annual fee), Travel Points (with no annual fee), Hybrid, Airline and Hotel by looking at such factors as cost, co-brand partnerships, rate of return, benefits and redemption options.
The winners in each category include:
• Travel Points (with annual fee): Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard
• Travel Points (with no annual fee): American Express Blue Sky Credit Card
• Hybrid: American Express Gold Rewards Card
• Airline: CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite
• Hotel: The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Five tips for choosing the right reward card for you:
1. Check under the hood — make sure you understand how the earning and redemption mechanics of the card work including expiring policies for programs that issue miles or points
2. Set a travel goal — knowing when and where you want travel will go along way in helping you narrow down the appropriate card
3. Hey Big Spender — Do the math and have a realistic idea of how much spending you’ll put through your card each year
4. Pick a card and stick to it — once you identified your card it’s critical you put all your spending through the card — splitting you spend among several cards only delays your time to redemption
5. Fee or Free — Most annual fee cards pay for themselves with a one week car rental when you decline the rental car company’s insurance and use the coverage from your credit card
CLICK HERE for the complete list of top travel reward credit cards.