August 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Imperial Metals says Mount Polley tailings pond breach won’t delay their next mine

WATCH ABOVE: More than a week after the Mount Polley mine disaster, there are many questions left unanswered. Jas Johal asks how much the government knew, and whether things will change.

VANCOUVER – The owners of Mount Polley Mine say last week’s accident won’t delay the opening of another mine it’s developing in the province.

Story continues below

READ MORE: First Nations protesters block workers’ access to another Imperial Metals Mine

The Red Chris copper mine, located near Dease Lake, is slated to open this fall. It will be powered by BC Hydro’s Northwest Transmission Line, which will officially open this week.

The line was built in the hopes of encouraging further resource development in the province’s northwest.

It comes at a time when critics say the Mount Polley disaster could have been averted and blame the government for cutting mine safety inspectors.

“First thing that’s needed is a full independent inquiry being committed to by the government,” said NDP MLA Carole James. “We need the premier and the minister to agree on something, to actually say that it’s going to be a truly independent investigation so we can get to the bottom of how this happened and ensure it never happens again.”

 

© Shaw Media, 2014

Report an error

Comments