MISSISSAUGA – There are no official criteria for this test: just the smiles on the faces of playful kids and the sound of happy screams were used as a measure in this particular test of GTA water parks.
We also relied on some social media for pointers from parents too.
Then there are the crowds at each splash pad – that was indeed a factor – on a hot day in July, these public parks were packed with families.
One Scarborough father said that Kidstown was a favourite because, “there’s something for all ages.”
“Big water slides and the buckets that pour on the kids. We can bring our food and have a little picnic and make a day of it,” he said.
Themes seems to garner points for the kids too. Miki Simkins, an 11-year-old from Oakville, loved the regal atmosphere at Coronation Park.
“All the trumpets and the big entrance – I think its really cool,” she said.
Here’s a list of some of the best family-friendly, and free splash pads in the GTA:
1. Kidstown, 3159 Birchmount Rd., Toronto.
2. Coronation Park, 1426 Lakeshore Rd. W, Oakville
3. Matthew Park, (formerly Vellore Village District ) 1 Villa Royale Ave, Vaughan
4. June Rolands Park, 220 Davisville Ave, Toronto.
5. Ledbury Park, 160 Ledbury St., Toronto.