Advertisement

E-bikes catch fire outside downtown Brighton restaurant

A Brighton couple say they will never buy an e-bike again after their two bikes reportedly exploded. Steven Cooper and his girlfriend arrived at a restaurant parking lot around 2:30 pm on Sunday with the recently purchased bikes in tow. Cooper says they then noticed flames coming from the back of the truck. According to Cooper, he never had any concerns about e-bikes before this incident. A spokesperson from the Ontario Fire Marshal says, "Lithium-ion batteries can overheat, catch fire or explode if they are not charged properly." This incident is the second one involving e-bike batteries, after an explosion outside a Cobourg home earlier this month.