Laval’s Ste.Dorothée residents are being urged to not use nor consume the tap water due to potential health risks.
The “do not use or consume” warning was issued Tuesday and is different from the typical boil-water advisories. Health officials want people to steer clear from ingesting it at all as harmful chemicals were detected in the water system.
This comes after city officials found contaminants in the water after firefighters extinguished a blaze in the area on Tuesday. Some of the extinguishing agent, a product commonly used in interventions according to the local fire department, had somehow seeped into the local water.
- Kate Middleton, King Charles named as Archie’s alleged skin-tone questioners in Dutch ‘Endgame’ tell-all
- Friends fur-ever: Can this new drug help your big dog live longer?
- Canada rolls out new 988 suicide crisis helpline. Here’s how it works
- Create breast implant registry, health committee says in new report
Health officials say contact with the water could also cause skin irritation.
The water advisory is in place indefinitely for some 2,500 residents in the district.
The city says it is currently flushing out the contaminated water and will lift the advisory once it passes. Tests will be conducted regularly.
Dery says the city will look into corrective measures with regards to how this could be avoided in the future.