Advertisement

Officials seek 39 Canadians missing in Philippines

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird talks at a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, November 11, 2013. Baird says Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team is being sent to the Philippines in the wake of last week's catastrophic typhoon.
Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird talks at a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, November 11, 2013. Baird says Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team is being sent to the Philippines in the wake of last week's catastrophic typhoon. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Fred Chartrand

OTTAWA – As Canadian troops fan out to offer help to people in the Philippines, Foreign Affairs is still making efforts to track down Canadians thought to be in areas hit by the typhoon.

As of this morning, the federal department had received inquiries about 213 Canadians and had located 174.

READ MORE: Tagging along with Canadian relief workers in typhoon-struck Philippines

That leaves 39 cases still being pursued by officials at home and in the islands.

The department says it is working with local officials to track down the missing.

It says the job should get easier as communications are restored in areas hit by the storm.

Meanwhile, more military aid equipment — including helicopters and a water purification unit — is en route to the disaster area.

Advertisement

Sponsored content