Advertisement

4 men connected to Texas migrant deaths indicted on federal charges

Click to play video: 'U.S. homeland security secretary explains how authorities would prevent more future deadly smuggling episodes' U.S. homeland security secretary explains how authorities would prevent more future deadly smuggling episodes
On Sunday’s episode of CBS' "Face the Nation," U.S. Homeland Security Sec. Alejandro Mayorkas discussed immigration, including the recent deadly episode of human-smuggling when dozens of migrants were found dead in a tractor-trailer in San Antonio, Texas. Mayorkas emphasized several government security and immigration agencies in conjunction with foreign governments were working to ensure that those responsible were brought to justice and another tragedy like this never occurs again – Jul 3, 2022

U.S. grand jury on Wednesday indicted four men including the suspected driver in connection with the death of 53 migrants amid the sweltering heat during a smuggling attempt last month in Texas, federal prosecutors said on Wednesday.

Dozens of migrants were packed into the back of a tractor-trailer that was found on the outskirts of San Antonio on June 27, officials said.

Read more: Mexico returns 8 bodies to families of migrants who died in truck found in Texas

All four of those indicted had been previously charged by prosecutors. The more serious grand jury indictments in San Antonio move the accused one step closer to trial.

The alleged driver, Homero Zamorano Jr., 46, of Pasadena, Texas, and his co-defendant, Christian Martinez, 28, of Palestine, Texas, could face the death penalty or life in prison if convicted, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas.

Story continues below advertisement

The two American defendants were indicted on an array of charges for conspiracy to transport undocumented immigrants resulting in death and serious bodily injury.

Click to play video: 'Death toll continues to rise after tractor-trailer containing migrants found in Texas' Death toll continues to rise after tractor-trailer containing migrants found in Texas
Death toll continues to rise after tractor-trailer containing migrants found in Texas – Jun 30, 2022

Prosecutors announced separately that a grand jury also returned indictments against two Mexican citizens suspected of possession of a firearm while unlawfully present in the United States. Juan Claudio D’Luna-Mendez, 23, and Juan Francisco D’Luna-Bilbao, 48, each face up to 10 years in prison if convicted, prosecutors said.

Reuters could not reach any defense lawyers for a statement on behalf of the accused.

The truck, carrying migrants from Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, was discovered abandoned in a desolate, industrial area near a highway about 160 miles (250 km) north of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Temperatures in the area that day had soared as high as 103 Fahrenheit (39.4 Celsius).

Story continues below advertisement

About half the victims who died were Mexican and others were from the Central American countries of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, Mexico’s government said.

Sponsored content