Electrocution deemed accidental

KELOWNA — A  coroner’s investigation has determined the death of a copper thief was accidental and there are no suggestions to prevent further such incidents.

In April 2012,  a badly injured Steven Ray Brodie Shepel, 35, was found in a remote, wooded area of Kelowna.

Shepel had been removing copper ground wires from hydro poles when one of the wires came in close contact to the 138,000 volt power line.

The electricity arced to the uninsulated copper wire, with the current travelling through Shepel to the ground.

He died four days later in hospital of electrical burns.  The coroner says because the cause of death was clearly evident, postmortem and toxicological examinations were not necessary.

Story continues below advertisement