More than 5,000 Nova Scotia Power customers were left without power after a snow plow hit a power pole in the Lower Sackville area Friday morning.
In a tweet just before 9 a.m., the Nova Scotia RCMP said Sackville Drive at the intersection of Cobequid Road is closed due to a collision, and was expected to be closed for several hours.
Halifax RCMP spokesperson Guillaume Tremblay told Global News that a snow plow had struck a power pole and “sheared it off.” There were no injuries, he said.
Get breaking National news
As of 3:45 p.m., power had been mostly restored.
According to the Halifax Regional Centre for Education, A.J. Smeltzer Junior High, Smokey Drive Elementary, and Sycamore Lane Elementary were dismissed early due to the outage.
Power was soon after restored to a number of other schools in the Sackville and Bedford areas.
- Carney unveils ‘Buy Canadian’ defence plan, says security can’t be a ‘hostage’
- Rhode Island shooter killed ex-wife, son before bystanders intervened: police
- Canadian immigration officers investigating hundreds identified by extortion task force
- ‘Canada can broker a bridge,’ Carney says on new trading bloc efforts
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.