Advertisement

Accidental fire in Kelowna destroys trailer, garage

A trailer and garage were severely damaged by fire Friday morning. Steve Beskidny / Global News

Four tenants and their dog were forced to leave their home because of a blaze that started in a nearby trailer.

The fire department said it was called to an RV on fire in the 600-block of Gerstmar Road just before 2:30 a.m. Friday.

Firefighters said they found a fifth-wheel trailer fully involved in flames, which were also extending into a nearby garage.

Read more: Kelowna anti-mask, anti-vaccine gym ordered closed

Seventeen firefighters, three engines, a rescue unit, safety officer and command unit all rushed to the scene.

Crews said they knocked down the flames and were able to keep the fire from extending into the house.

The fire department said four people and their dog made it safely out of the home and are now being housed by emergency support services.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: Former minister tells inquiry money laundering on B.C. radar, but so were guns, gangs

The trailer was completely destroyed and the garage was severely damaged, according to the Kelowna Fire Department.

While the fire department initially reported the blaze as suspicious in nature, firefighters later told Global News that they believe the cause of the fire was a problem with a generator, which was running at the time.

Sponsored content