MANILA -The Philippine National Bureau of Investigation has taken over the investigation from Interpol of a 25-year-old Mexican-Canadian woman found dead in a hotel Dec. 26.
NBI Agent Cesar Rivera told Canwest News Service Friday that Interpol’s National Central Bureau in Manila was in the process of transferring information gathered in its investigation to the NBI’s division in the province of Pampanga where Elisa Loyo Gutierrez’ body was found.
The Canadian and Mexican governments had been pressing the Philippine government to probe the case after local police concluded Gutierrez, who had dual Mexican and Canadian citizenship, committed suicide at the Fontana Leisure Park in northern Pampanga.
Gutierrez’ stepfather Dan Somerfield said the family is pleased the case was getting a second look from federal Philippine authorities.
"We as a family cannot accept the initial finding that suggested suicide. It just was not like Elisa at all," said Somerfield, from his home in Thunder Bay, Ont. "And this being her birthday, what would have been her 26th birthday (Thursday), this is very good news. It’s kind of bittersweet. She’s not with us, but at least there is going to be an investigation."
Media reports said Loyo Gutierrez had clashed with some fellow workers at the resort where she worked as a chef.
Somerfield said the family is still awaiting the results of an autopsy being conducted by the NBI.
The family is also awaiting word on when Loyo Gutierrez’ body will be returned to Canada.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.