About 100 firefighters have managed to control a blaze in an apartment building in downtown Montreal on Thursday afternoon.
The four-alarm fire was contained to the roof of the building, according to Sandra Lisi, a spokesperson for the Montreal fire department.
“The investigators already came and went and they figured out that it was cigarette butts that caused the fire,” Lisi said.
Lisi says strong winds made it harder for first responders to keep the fire at bay. The goal was for it to not spread to neighbouring structures given the building is attached.
The three-story building is located at 1265 St-André Street at the corner of Ste-Catherine Street.
According to Lisi, around 20 people have been evacuated from the building and no injuries have been reported.