CALGARY – The company that owns the Calgary Flames is reversing course, saying it will help part-time event staff who will be underemployed during the suspension of the NHL season.
The company made the announcement on Sunday — a day after it was made public in an email that Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation employees affected by a halt in operations at Scotiabank Saddledome were not going to receive pay for lost shifts.
President and CEO of Calgary Sports and Entertainment, John Bean, says in a statement that the organization will now be “adopting an income bridge support program for qualifying employees.”
CSE is also the operator of the arena, which is owned by the City of Calgary.
Raymond Lau, a former employee at the Saddledome, started an online fundraiser to help offset the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on workers at the venue when he first heard CSE wouldn’t be compensating staff.
The campaign, which has contributions from Flames players Milan Lucic, Sam Bennett, and Zac Rinaldo, along with the wives of TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano, had raised over $60,000 as of Sunday afternoon, well past its $10,000 goal.
Bean also says in the statement that CSE “obtained a number of additional pieces of information including communicating directly with many part-time employees,” leading to the announced program.
Calgary Sports and Entertainment also owns the Western Hockey League’s Hitmen and the National Lacrosse League’s Roughnecks. Both of those leagues have also suspended their seasons.
On Sunday, the Montreal Canadiens announced an assistance program for their game-day employees without work, a plan similar to those rolled out by the Toronto Maple Leafs, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks earlier this week for their NHL teams and other properties.
Meanwhile, True North Sports and Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman, who runs the Winnipeg Jets, said at a press conference on Thursday his company’s part-time employees wouldn’t receive any compensation.
The Jets, who also own the American Hockey League’s Manitoba Moose, doubled-down on Chipman’s comments in a letter sent to part-time event staff at Bell MTS Place on Saturday.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 15, 2020.
- Canada’s bank deposit insurance limits being reviewed after SVB collapse, trade group says
- Do you check your grocery bill? If not, you may be ‘leaving money behind’
- First home savings account: Banks say they’re not ready for an April 1 launch
- BlackBerry selling non-core patents in a deal worth up to $900M