Advertisement

Ontario education workers’ union takes 1st step toward legal strike position

Vacant desks are pictured at the front of an empty classroom is pictured at McGee Secondary school in Vancouver on Sept. 5, 2014.
Vacant desks are pictured at the front of an empty classroom. The Canadian Press

TORONTO – A union representing Ontario education workers has taken an initial step toward a legal strike position.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees says it has requested what is known as a “no-board report,” which starts a countdown toward a potential strike.

CUPE, which represents 55,000 workers such as custodians, clerical staff and educational assistants, says they will be in a legal strike position the week of Sept. 23.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

In the meantime, there are more bargaining dates scheduled for Sept. 17 and 18.

Story continues below advertisement

Contracts for Ontario’s public school teachers and education workers expired Aug. 31, and the major unions are in various but mostly early stages of bargaining.

CUPE members are also in the midst of voting on a strike mandate, with results expected when the process wraps up in two weeks.

The union has previously said its central bargaining priorities are wages, benefits, job security and sick leave.

Sponsored content

AdChoices