Fire crews dealt with a blaze at a home in east London on Thursday morning.
Emergency personnel responded to the detached home at 45 Glenwood Avenue, between Trafalgar Street and Hamilton Road, around 9:45 a.m.
Four people were inside the home at the time the fire broke out with Platoon Chief Gary Mossburger telling media at the scene one man was was treated and transported to hospital by paramedics for treatment of smoke inhalation.
The three other occupants of the home weren’t injured and neither were any of the responding fire fighters. A pet cat was also safely removed from the home.
Megan Boyd lives in one of the neighbouring homes to the north and south that were evacuated as a precaution.
Describing her morning to Global News Radio 980 CFPL, Boyd said she was making breakfast for her 8-year-old son when she began smelling smoke.
“I looked out my front window and the whole street was just white out with smoke, looked like it was the worst fog I’d ever seen,” Boyd said.
“I called my mom, I messaged my boyfriend. I didn’t really know what to do, but I already heard the sirens and knew that they were coming to help, so I just kind of stood back and waited. It was really scary.”
It’s unknown what sparked the blaze and a damage estimate hasn’t been released, but Mossburger said it would be extensive as flames impacted the basement right up to the home’s attic.
“Once we have our fire prevention inspector on site, they will determine the origins, cause and circumstances of the fire,” Mossburger added.
Stay with 980 CFPL News for the latest on this developing story.
– With files from Andrew Graham