June 18, 2019 12:39 pm
Updated: June 19, 2019 7:41 am

Estevan mom ‘grateful’ daughter OK after accidentally swallowing crystal meth

According to a Facebook post, Chelsi Melle's four-year-old daughter Addi mistakenly ingested meth while at Boundary Dam Campground in Estevan Sunday night.

Courtesy / Facebook Page
A A

Chelsi Melle described it as one of the “scariest moments of [her] life,” when she learned her four-year-old daughter mistakenly ingested crystal meth.

Story continues below

Melle shared the story through Facebook, saying Addison found the drugs on the road in front of her in-law’s camper on Sunday night.

Melle told Global News in a phone interview that the incident took place at the Boundary Dam Campground in Estevan, Sask.

“All of a sudden, Addison started spitting and goes ‘ew, that tasted like metal.’ My mother-in-law grabbed a bottle of water and gave her a drink,” Melle said.

“I looked in her hand and said ‘Addison what is in your hand, what do you have, what did you put in your mouth?’”

READ MORE: Rise of crystal meth use in Saskatchewan a crisis: conference

Addison gave Melle the clear glass bottle which had white residue and powder inside of it.

Melle said Addison found it on the ground, thought it was glitter and had dumped it on a golf cart to play with it.

“There were swear words scratched into the lid and my heart just sunk. I just assumed the white powdery substance plus the inscription on the top that said ‘F-it’ was drugs,” Melle said.

“I grabbed my daughter, yelled at my husband who was 10 feet away, got in the car and raced to the hospital.”

Melle said she was acting funny and was blinking a lot on their way to the hospital. Once at the hospital, police took the substance back to the station and confirmed it was meth.

READ MORE: Breaking the ‘significant increase’ in crystal meth addictions

“We’re aware of it and we, the RCMP in conjunction with the Estevan Police Service are looking into it, but that’s all we can really do at this point,” said Cpl. Rob King, Saskatchewan RCMP.

Melle said she understands the outcome was much better than it could have been.

“It’s just really hard to think because that could have gone so much worse. It could have been a worse drug. It could have been fentanyl or something that could have killed her instantly,” Melle said.

“There are so many what-ifs, and I’m so glad [she’s okay].”

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.