December 24, 2018 12:57 pm
Updated: December 25, 2018 10:29 am

Italy’s Mount Etna erupts ash into air prompting airport closure

WATCH: An airport in Italy closed this weekend after Mount Etna erupted, sending lava and ash into the air on Saturday.


At least one airport in Italy has been closed after Mount Etna sent black clouds of smoke and ash into the air following an eruption this past weekend, with the latest plumes spewing forth on Monday.

The latest eruption is a result of a new fracture on the based of the southeastern crater of Etna, according to Italy’s official Ansa news agency.

On Saturday night, lava could be seen erupting into the air before flowing down the mountain, with seismic activity continuing well into Monday.

WATCH: Volcanic eruptions sends lava flowing down Mt. Etna’s snowy slopes

By midday on Dec. 24, about 130 tremors had been recorded, with a magnitude-4.0 even being detected, the National Institute for Geophysics and Volcanology said.

WATCH: Child looks on as Italy’s Mount Etna erupts

Catania airport on Sicily’s eastern coast has closed as a result of the eruption, as ash can impact plane engines and even lead to them stalling or failing in some cases, the BBC reports.

WATCH: Italian authorities close airport as Mount Etna erupts

While the eruption is not a threat to most communities, the Associated Press reports hikers are being brought down from higher elevations for their safety.

This weekend’s eruption is one of many which have occurred this year, the most recent taking place in November.

As of 11 a.m. ET, no injuries had been reported due to the eruption.

WATCH: Spectacular eruptions from Mount Etna in Italy light up night sky on Christmas

Etna, which stands at 3,330 metres, can experience several eruptions in a year, but the last major eruption hasn’t occurred since 1992.

— With files from Reuters and the Associated Press

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.