November 8, 2018 1:38 pm
Updated: November 8, 2018 10:04 pm

Teen behind armed standoff on Bannerman Avenue, say Winnipeg Police

WATCH: Winnipeg police chief Danny Smyth said the lone suspect in the standoff Wednesday is a 16-year-old male.


Wednesday’s lengthy standoff between an armed shooter and police saw “numerous” shots fired at the hands of a teenager, say Winnipeg police.

WATCH: Brittany Greenslade reports Police say a 16 year old was behind the standoff on Bannerman Avenue

The day started with someone shooting bullets into a house on Aikins Street. Police blocked off the street temporarily while the investigation continued, leading them to a house on Bannerman Avenue.

READ MORE: Man in custody after armed standoff on Bannerman Avenue

At about 1 p.m., numerous shots were fired from within a house, police said.

“Officers immediately began to treat the incident as an armed and barricaded situation,” said police in a release. “Neighbouring residents were asked to leave their homes due to safety concerns and a number of schools in the area initiated a hold and secure procedure.”

WATCH: Winnipeg police Cst. Rob Carver said the standoff in the North End was resolved without injury to officers or the pubic

About five hours later, police used gas to force the shooter from the home. The shooter was placed under arrest, and no one was hurt, although there appears to have been significant damage to police property.

Bullet holes in one of the Winnipeg police cruisers.

Winnipeg Police Handout

“Cars are not good cover for anyone. They were not good cover for our people,” said Winnipeg Police Chief Danny Smyth Thursday afternoon.

“It meant the deployment of our armored rescue vehicle so that officers assigned to the perimeter could be safely retreated from the area.

“Some were caught in vulnerable positions when the shooting began. It also meant a return of fire at the male subject inside the Bannerman residence.”

Numerous charges are expected against the teen, said Smyth.

WATCH: Winnipeg Police Chief Danny Smyth shares details on the Bannerman Avenue standoff

“Nobody heads to work in the morning, nobody heads to school in the morning, nobody heads anywhere expecting they will be fired upon by an active shooter. It’s frightening.

“Most cops won’t experience an event like this in their career.”

“I’m led to believe that drugs are associated with this,” he added, referring to the meth trade.

Winnipeg Police Chief Danny Smyth says he expects multiple charges in this case.

Brittany Greenslade/Global News

During the standoff in the St. John’s neighbourhood, a significant number of police resources were involved, including the Major Crimes and K-9 unit,  Air1, tactical support and crisis negotiators.

The area was blocked off: residents in their houses were told to stay in their basements while others were barred from returning to their homes. Three schools were in a hold and secure protocol for upwards of six hours.

WATCH: ‘Too close’: North End resident describes standoff from inside the police perimeter

Officers remained at the scene Thursday as the investigation continued.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.