NYC subway bomber found guilty of use of weapon, supporting ISIS

FILE - In this Jan. 11, 2018 court room file drawing, U.S. Marshals escort defendant Akayed Ullah, center, into court in New York for his arraignment on charges of setting off a pipe bomb in New York City's busiest subway station at rush hour last Dec. 11. Elizabeth Williams via AP, File

The Bangladeshi man accused of detonating a bomb last December in a New York City subway passageway on behalf of Islamic State was found guilty on Tuesday of all six criminal counts against him, including use of a weapon of mass destruction and support of a terrorist organization, according to federal prosecutors.

READ MORE: After New York City subway bombing, Donald Trump calls for immigration change

The verdict against Akayed Ullah, 28, came after a week-long jury trial in Manhattan federal court. Ullah faces a possible sentence of life in prison.

Ullah’s lawyers declined to comment on the verdict. They had not contested the bombing charges, but said his motive was to end his life, not to support Islamic State even though he had taken in the militant group’s propaganda online.

Ullah was arrested last December after detonating a homemade bomb in a pedestrian tunnel connecting two subway lines and a bus terminal in midtown Manhattan. The explosion did not kill anyone, but authorities said three people suffered minor injuries and the subway station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal were closed temporarily that morning.

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH: Schumer praises law enforcement for New York bombing response

Click to play video: 'Schumer praises law enforcement for New York bombing response' Schumer praises law enforcement for New York bombing response
Schumer praises law enforcement for New York bombing response – Dec 11, 2017

Federal prosecutors said Ullah built the bomb out of a pipe taken from a construction site where he worked as an electrician, using match heads and sugar as explosives and screws as shrapnel. They said he was inspired by online Islamic State propaganda urging supporters to carry out “lone wolf” attacks.

Before the attack, prosecutors said, Ullah posted on Facebook: “Trump you failed to protect your nation,” followed by an Arabic message expressing support of Islamic State.

Ullah lived with his mother, sister and two brothers in Brooklyn and was a green card holder. At the time of the attack his wife lived in Bangladesh, and the couple had a six-month-old son.

READ MORE: New York City truck attack: Suspect told police he ‘felt good’ about what he’d done

Story continues below advertisement

Ullah’s wife told Bangladeshi investigators that Ullah had not prayed regularly before moving the United States, and officials said he had no criminal record in his home country.

Sponsored content