October 7, 2018 12:16 pm
Updated: October 7, 2018 3:23 pm

Man stabbed in Point Pleasant Park now facing assault, theft and confinement charges

Halifax Regional Police block off a section of Point Pleasant Park following a stabbing early Saturday morning.

Courtesy: Susan Newhook

A man who was stabbed in a popular Halifax park early Saturday morning is now facing assault, theft and forcible confinement charges after allegedly choking a woman and preventing her from leaving, police said Sunday.

The woman was initially taken into custody shortly after the incident happened, but she has since been released after police found she was acting in self-defence.

“They determined he was the dominant aggressor in the situation,” said staff Sgt. Greg Robertson of the Halifax Regional Police.

Story continues below

“One of the two’s being forcibly confined and assaulted, her property stolen … as a result of them interviewing everybody, she’s not facing any criminal charges.”

READ MORE: Man stabbed at Point Pleasant Park, woman arrested

He said the man, 27, and the woman, 25, were camping in Point Pleasant Park when the altercation happened.

Robertson said the woman tried to leave but the man didn’t let her.

The man is accused of choking the woman and taking her cell phone, Robertson said.

The woman allegedly stabbed the man and ran away from the tent, he said, adding that there were two others with them who witnessed the incident and called 911.

The man who was stabbed was treated in hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, Robertson said, and the woman was treated for injuries by emergency services.

WATCH: Halifax police expanding training in online crime fighting

They arrested the woman just over an hour later and released her on Saturday night following an investigation.

“There are times where people are arrested because we can’t determine who the aggressor is in a situation,” said Robertson.

“If both people have injuries you don’t really know what you have at the time, so everyone deserves the right to caution, to investigate it and find out what happened.”

The man appeared for a bail hearing on Sunday and was released from custody on conditions.

He’s set to appear in Halifax Provincial Court at a later date.

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.