Upper Grand School Board chair pens open letter on sex-ed curriculum
Linda Busuttil released an open letter on Thursday and said there are still many questions to be answered.
“As we await further clarification, we want to assure all families in the Upper Grand District School Board that our values and commitment to inclusion, diversity, safety and well-being remain steadfast,” she said.
Education Minister Lisa Thompson announced earlier this month that Ontario schools will go back to teaching the same curriculum they did in the late 1990s this fall while the government conducts consultations.
The newer sex-ed curriculum, introduced three years ago, included warnings about online bullying, sexting, same-sex marriage, gender identity and masturbation.
Thompson later clarified that only a portion of the curriculum will be rolled back, and students will still be taught about concepts like consent, cyber safety and gender identity.
Busuttil said the school board is required to follow the curriculum that is approved by the government.
“However, there are many programs, initiatives and resources in our schools that go beyond the curriculum and focus on safety, well-being and inclusion, which we will continue to support and promote,” she said.
Busuttil said Upper Grand will continue to support the LGBTQ community and teach about gender issues and acceptance.
The board will also continue to educate students on internet safety, cyberbullying, healthy relationships and consent, she added.
Premier Doug Ford has said the sex-ed consultations will be the largest in Ontario history, but it’s not known when a new curriculum will be in place.
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.