July 25, 2018 6:30 pm
Updated: July 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Toronto gunman Faisal Hussain died after shooting himself: source

WATCH: New details about 29-year-old Toronto Danforth shooter Faisal Hussain


The gunman who opened fire on a busy Toronto street Sunday night shot himself after a confrontation with police, sources told Global News.

The shooting rampage took place Sunday night in Toronto’s Danforth neighbourhood. Two people died, including an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl.

The gunman was identified as 29-year-old Faisal Hussain, a Toronto resident.

A police source told Global News Hussain died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

READ MORE: Toronto mass shooter Faisal Hussain previously said ‘I want to kill someone’: former teacher

Story continues below

Ontario’s police watchdog had been investigating the shooting because of the exchange of gunfire with police. An autopsy was conducted Tuesday.

The coroner told the family of Hussain that he had shot himself in the head, a source close to the family said.

The family previously released a statement saying the gunman had suffered from “severe mental health challenges.”

“We are utterly devastated by the incomprehensible news that our son was responsible for the senseless violence and loss of life that took place on the Danforth,” a statement released Monday said.

READ MORE: Suspected Danforth mass shooting gunman was known to police for mental health reasons

Police are still searching for a motive for the shooting, which injured 13 people.

The so-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for the shooting, but police said they found no evidence to support the claim.

Police say Hussain first fired the gun at the intersection of Danforth Avenue and Logan Avenue around 10 p.m. Sunday night. He then walked west down the street while firing the weapon.

Police caught up to him on Bowden Street and gunfire was exchanged, according to SIU.

The suspect then fled back toward Danforth Avenue where he was found dead a short time later, approximately 500 metres from where the first shooting occurred.

WATCH: Information from police and eyewitnesses can be pieced together to form a rough timeline of Sunday night’s shooting on the Danforth.

Hundreds of people gathered at a vigil to honour the victims Wednesday night.

Hundreds of residents attend a vigil for the victims of the Danforth shooting.

Toronto Fire Services Chief Matthew Pegg / Twitter


© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.