Large fire in apartment building in Vancouver started by teen playing with matches
A large fire in Vancouver’s east end Wednesday was started by a teenager playing with matches.
A resident of one of the suites spoke to Global News and said her son accidentally set the laundry on fire.
The building, in the in the 1700-block of Frances Street, is believed to be social housing.
“Somebody was running around [yelling] ‘fire! Fire! Get out of the building!’,” said one resident. “So my teenager and her boyfriend came outside and my daughter started screaming.”
Pictures show some people standing outside holding belongings and pets.
WATCH: Cats were among the occupants rescued from an apartment building that caught fire in Vancouver on Wednesday:
Smoke could be seen pouring out of the building. The fire was ranked as a three-alarm blaze at its peak.
No one was injured in the fire but likely half of the residents will be out of their homes for a while and probably over Christmas.
WATCH: East Van apartment fire
The suites below the one where the fire started were severely damaged.
An online fundraiser has been set up for those affected by the fire.
The building had 48 residents, and all are being put up at the 2400 Motel on Kingsway.
More to come…
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.