NDG sauna fire forces evacuation of 2 apartment buildings
Montreal firefighters were called to a fire on Notre-Dame-de-Grâce’s Cavendish Street near Heywood around 1:50 a.m. Thursday morning.
The fire was sparked when sauna equipment in a basement that joined two apartment towers malfunctioned. The fire was quickly put out.
The two apartment buildings were evacuated as smoke filled both buildings.
“The fire was put out fairly quickly, however it took a while to clear all the smoke,” said Montreal fire department spokesperson Michel Girard.
“Damages are in the $10,000 to $15,000 range.”
Nobody was injured in the fire and residents were allowed back in their homes after the smoke was cleared by 4 a.m.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.