A half-dozen people have so far been selected to sit as jurors for the criminal case of the 2013 Lac-Mégantic train derailment that killed 47 people and destroyed part of the town.
READ MORE: Quebec agency releases Lac-Megantic report
Six bilingual jurors – four men and two women – have been plucked from some of the 300 candidates present Friday at the courthouse in Sherbrooke, Que.
Quebec Superior Court Justice Gaetan Dumas told prospective jurors they would be required to dole out justice impartially and “without fear” if they were chosen.
WATCH BELOW: Tragedy in Lac-Mégantic
Dumas also told them they must be patient and have an open mind while listening to the whole of the evidence.
Three former railway employees – train driver Thomas Harding, traffic controller Richard Labrie and manager of train operations Jean Demaitre – each face one charge of criminal negligence causing the death of 47 people.
Prospective jurors have been asked a series of questions about whether they were personally affected by the tragedy and whether they have any links to people working in the rail industry.