September 12, 2017 3:10 pm
Updated: September 12, 2017 3:52 pm

False alarm at Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia led to evacuation, police say

WATCH: Catalan authorities evacuated and cordoned off the famed Sagrada Família in Barcelona on Tuesday, after reports of a suspicious van parked outside the cathedral.

A A

Catalan police declared a false alarm on Tuesday following a bomb scare that had led agents to cordon off Barcelona‘s Sagrada Familia church and send in a bomb squad to check a parked van.

Police said on Twitter that there had been no arrests as a result of the incident and that the area had returned to normal.

Police had previously said on Twitter they had cordoned off the Sagrada Familia and asked people to avoid the area while the operation is carried out.

READ MORE: Barcelona boosts security, tries to balance freedom after deadly attacks

Barcelona was hit by attacks last month when militant Islamists drove a van down the city’s Las Ramblas boulevard and carried out a follow-up attack in a nearby resort town, killing 16 people in total.

The Sagrada Familia, designed by Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi, attracts millions of tourists from around the world every year.

*More to come

© 2017 Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.