Twin 11-month-old girls who were formerly conjoined have been separated after undergoing a marathon surgery at a suburban New York City children’s hospital.
READ MORE: Conjoined twins from Nigeria separated at US hospital
A team of more than 50 medical professionals helped perform the delicate 21-hour operation to separate Ballenie and Bellanie Camacho at Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital in Valhalla over two days beginning Jan. 17.
Get weekly health news
The twins had been connected by a bone at the base of the spine. The girls and their parents met the media on Tuesday. The family is from the Dominican Republic.
- ‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer
- Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks
- Report says wait times in Quebec emergency rooms were 11 minutes shorter last year
- Ultra low emission zones linked to improved lung capacity in kids: UK study
Surgeon Dr. Samir Pandya calls it “a very long and complex surgery” that will give the twins “chances for better lives. ”
READ MORE: ‘I knew something was wrong’: Couple learns they’re having conjoined twins in ultrasound image
The twins, who were born in the Dominican Republic, will spend several weeks recovering at the hospital. Doctors say their prognosis is good.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.